After all the end year feasting of rich foods, sometimes all you want is something simple and comforting. Try this tomato egg drop soup! Delicious and easy-to-make, and enjoyed by the littles and the not-so-little 😜 With just a few simple ingredients, this soup can be made in no time at all. It's traditionally quite a light-tasting soup but our version adds abit more oomph to it with one simple ingredient! Also works as a nice hotpot soup base for CNY as an alternative to the popular Hai Di Lao version 😉
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 stalks of spring onion, chopped (separate white & green parts)
2-3 tbsp tomato ketchup
Cornstarch slurry (2 tbsp cornstarch + 4 tbsp water)
5 cups water
2 tbsp chicken stock powder
Salt to taste
White pepper (optional)
- Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt
- In a large pot, heat up the sesame oil and add the chopped tomatoes.
- Sauté for 5 mins or till tomatoes have softened and started to break down.
- Add in the chopped white parts of the spring onion, ketchup and a pinch of salt and continue to sauté for 2 mins.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil.
- Add in the chicken stock powder and continue to boil for a few minutes to let full flavour of the tomatoes and chicken stock to come together.
- Mix the cornstarch and water to form the cornstarch slurry and drizzle into the soup.
- Use chopsticks to mix immediately and continue to cook for 1-2 mins till soup thickens (if you’d like it thicker, add more cornstarch & water).
- Turn off the heat and wait till soup stops bubbling (this will ensure eggs cook slowly and form silky ‘flowers’ instead of overcooking too quickly and resulting in hard egg scrambles).
- Drizzle the beaten eggs on high and leave to sit for 15-30 seconds to get larger egg ‘flowers’.
- Top with white pepper (optional) and enjoy!
Share your cooks with us!
Everyone cooks according to their own style and preferred taste. We'd love to see how yours turned out! Tag us on Instagram or Facebook using #goodmaison and #GMcooks so we can share the joy of cooking in our community!
Products Featured In This Post