This easy mapo tofu dish is a great recipe to keep in your collection. It features silken tofu cubes in a spicy umami sauce that goes so well with a bowl of steamed rice. A comfort bowl packed with a punch, there’s nothing quite like it!
2 boxes of silken tofu (for frying)
4 tbsp oil
2 tsp sze chuan peppercorns
1 tbsp chilli oil
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
150g pork mince
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp black vinegar
4 tbsp chilli bean paste (dou ban jiang)
1 cup water + 1 tsp chicken stock powder
1 tbsp corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp water
Spring onions (for garnish, optional)
- Add oil and sze chuan peppercorns to pan, fry on low-medium heat so they don't burn
- Throw in dried chillis or bottled chilli oil to the mix
- Add garlic, ginger and minced meat in.
- Allow them to brown before flipping to get more flavour
- Add light soy sauce, sugar, black vinegar and chilli bean paste, saute
- Add water, chicken stock powder and cubed tofu in
- Allow them to simmer for 3-5 mins so flavour gets absorbed in the tofu
- Add cornstarch slurry and stir immediately to prevent clumps from forming
- Once evenly stirred, enjoy it with rice or your favourite staple!
Share your cooks with us!
Everyone cooks according to their own style and preferred taste. We'd love to see how yours turned out! Tag us on Instagram or Facebook using #goodmaison and #GMcooks so we can share the joy of cooking in our community!